Re: [ANNOUNCE] RAIF: Redundant Array of Independent Filesystems

On Friday 15 December 2006 10:01, Nikolai Joukov wrote:
> > Nikolai Joukov wrote:
> > > We have designed a new stackable file system that we called RAIF:
> > > Redundant Array of Independent Filesystems.
> >
> > Great!

Yes, definitely...

I see the major benefit being in the mobile, industrial and embedded systems
arena. Perhaps this might come as a suprise to people, but a very large and
ever growing number (perhaps even most) Linux devices don't use block devices
for storage. Instead they use flash file systems or nfs, niether of which use
local block devices.

It looks like RAIF gives a way to provide redundancy etc on these devices.