Re: Avoid allocating during interleave from almost full nodes

The event counters we are considering are per cpu and you can ask the vm
statistics subsystem to give you per cpu or global counts. The global
counts are calculated by summing up all per processor counts.

We also have other counters (ZVC) that are per zone (they are updated per
cpu per zone.. and are extremely scalable as well). Values can be obtained
for those by zone, node or global. The global counters and the per zone
counters do *not* have to be summed up (unlike event counters) but are
kept current (within a certain delta).

If you need global counters and want to avoid summing up over all
processors then I would suggest that you use a ZVC or look at the existing
ZVCs and see if any of those are usable for you.

For ZVCs see include/linux/mmzone.h

For event counters see include/linux/vmstat.h