Re: [take22 0/4] kevent: Generic event handling mechanism.

Hi!

On Fri 2006-11-03 12:13:02, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 09:57:12AM +0100, Pavel Machek ([email protected]) wrote:
> > > So, kqueue API and structures can not be usd in Linux.
> >
> > Not sure what you are smoking, but "there's unsigned long in *bsd
> > version, lets rewrite it from scratch" sounds like very bad idea. What
> > about fixing that one bit you don't like?
>
> It is not about what I dislike, but about what is broken or not.
> Putting u64 instead of a long or some kind of that _is_ incompatible
> already, so why should we even use it?

Well.. u64 vs unsigned long *is* binary incompatible, but it is
similar enough that it is going to be compatible at source level, or
maybe userland app will need *minor* ifdefs... That's better than two
completely different versions...

> And, btw, what we are talking about? Is it about the whole kevent
> compared to kqueue in kernelspace, or just about what structure is being
> transferred between kernelspace and userspace?
> I'm sure, it was some kind of a joke to 'not rewrite *bsd from scratch
> and use kqueue in Linux kernel as is'.

No, it is probably not possible to take code from BSD kernel and "just
port it". But keeping same/similar userland interface would be nice.
										Pavel