Re: 2.6.18/Reiser3 - lost directory and strange warnings

Martin Lorenz wrote:
panic arose about an hour ago...
a whole directory tree was suddenly gone and every try to access it resulted
in an i/o error

the log shows this:

<snip>

a reboot into maintainance mode and fsck of the partition brought the dir
back without data loss (pffffew!)

but I am still concerned, what has happened here?

Your partition was damaged.

a grep on my syslogs revealed quite a few similar warnings which I obviously
diden't notice. - attached wich a few lines of context

Check for disk IO errors, and you also might want to run badblocks and/or the smartmontools on the device to check for hardware errors. Also a memtest86 for a few hours to rule out corrupted ram.

see http://www.lorenz.eu.org/~mlo/kernel/?C=M;O=D for more

gruss
  mlo
--
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Lorenz

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                   Benjamin Franklin

please encrypt your mail to me
GnuPG key-ID: F1AAD37D
get it here: