Re: [patch 1/1] schedule removal of FUTEX_FD

Rusty Russell a écrit :
On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 15:09 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
From: Andrew Morton <[email protected]>

Apparently FUTEX_FD is unfixably racy and nothing uses it (or if it does, it
shouldn't).

Add a warning printk, give any remaining users six months to migrate off it.

This makes sense.  FUTEX_FD was for the NGPT project which did userspace
threading, and hence couldn't block.  It was always kind of a hack
(although unfixably racy isn't quite right, it depends on usage).

However, the existence of FUTEX_FD is what made Ingo complain that we
couldn't simply pin the futex page in memory, because now a process
could pin one page per fd.  Removing it would seem to indicate that we
can return to a much simpler scheme of (1) pinning a page when someone
does futex_wait, and (2) simply comparing futexes by physical address.

Now, I realize with some dismay that simplicity is no longer a futex
feature, but it might be worth considering?

Hum... I am not sure playing MM games is good... really...

This discussion reminds me I posted a patch some time ago that got no comments from the community.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/9/26

Eric