Re: Suspend to disk: do we HAVE to use swap?

On 10/31/06, Rafael J. Wysocki <[email protected]> wrote:
On Tuesday, 31 October 2006 21:15, Luca Tettamanti wrote:
> Il Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 08:19:37PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki ha scritto:

> > > I know, I use swap files, and not a partition. This has prevented me from
> > > using suspend to disk "for ages". ;-)
> > >
> > > Is userspace suspend REQUIRED for this feature?
> >
> > No, but unfortunately one piece is still missing: You'll need to figure out
> > where your swap file's header is located.
> >
> > However, if you apply the attached patch the kernel will tell you where it is
> > (after you do 'swapon' grep dmesg for 'swap' and use the value in the
> > 'offset' field).
>
> Of course it's also possibile to use FIBMAP ioctl:
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <fcntl.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
> #include <sys/ioctl.h>
> #include <linux/fs.h>
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv) {
>         int block = 0;
>         int fd;
>
>         if (argc < 2)
>                 return 1;
>
>         fd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY);
>         if (fd < 0) {
>                 perror("open()");
>                 return 1;
>         }
>
>         if (ioctl(fd, FIBMAP, &block)) {
>                 perror("ioctl()");
>                 return 1;
>         }
>
>         close(fd);
>         printf("%d\n", block);
>
>         return 0;
> }
>
> Probably it's more script friendly (grepping dmesg? hmmm) ;)

That's a bit more complicated, because you need to find a block which is
PAGE_SIZE big and express the number in PAGE_SIZE units.

Ah, I see. Finding a cluster of contiguous blocks is easy, but I'm
having troubles converting the block number to an offset from the
start of the device :s

Luca