Re: [take19 1/4] kevent: Core files.

Evgeniy Polyakov a e'crit :
On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 06:45:54PM +0200, Eric Dumazet ([email protected]) wrote:
I am not sure I understand what you wrote, English is not our native language.

I think many people gave you feedbacks. I feel that all feedback on this mailing list is constructive. Many posts/patches on this list are never commented at all.

And I do greatly appreciate feedback from those people!

But I do not understand why I never got feedback on initial design and
implementation (and then created as far as I recall at least 10
releases) from Ulrich, who first asked for such a feture. So right now I'm waiting for his opinion on that problem, even if it will be 'it sucks' again, but at least in that case I will not waste people's time.

Ulrich, could you please comment on design notes sent couple of mail
above?

Ulrich is a very busy man. We have to live with that.

<rant_mode>
For example, I *complained* one day, that each glibc fopen()/fread()/fclose() pass does a mmap()/munmap() to obtain a single 4KB of memory, without any cache mechanism. This badly hurts performance of multi-threaded programs as we know mmap()/munmap() has to down_write(&mm->mmap_sem); and play VM games.

So to avoid this, I manually call setvbuf() in my own programs, to provide a suitable buffer to glibc, because of its suboptimal default allocation, vestige of an old epoch...
</rant_mode>

Eric