Re: 2.6.18 suspend regression on Intel Macs

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> "fix" for some value of the word.

The value would be every _meaningful_ value.

> The problem is that this is very much against the spec, and also quite
> likely breaks a bunch of machines...

No, it was not shown to break a single machine, and since the SCI bit was
supposed to be on, it's a no-op on any non-broken hardware.

> If we do this we probably should at least key this of some DMI
> identification for the mac mini..

No. That would be silly.

Having _conditional_ code is not only bigger, it's orders of magnitude
more complex and likely to break. It's much better to say: "We know at
least one machine needs this" than it is to say "We know machine X needs
this", because the latter has extra complexity that just doesn't buy you
anything.

It's much better to treat everybody the same, if that works. That way, you
don't have different code-paths.

		Linus