Re: Registration Weakness in Linux Kernel's Binary formats

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 17:53:30 -0400
Kyle Moffett <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Oct 03, 2006, at 17:25:07, Bráulio Oliveira wrote:
> > Just forwarding....
>
> Well, you could have checked the list archives first to make sure the
> idiot didn't send it here himself.  Secondly if you're going to
> forward something like this best send it to [email protected] first.
>
> Of course, it's partially the abovementioned idiot's fault for BCCing
> a mailing list and several others:
> > To: undisclosed-recipients
>
> > Hello,
> > The present document aims to demonstrate a design weakness found in
> > the
> > handling of simply linked   lists   used   to   register   binary
> > formats   handled   by Linux   kernel,   and   affects   all
> > the   kernel families (2.0/2.2/2.4/2.6), allowing the insertion of
> > infection modules in kernel  space that can be used by malicious
> > users to create infection tools, for example rootkits.
>
> Would be nice if I could get to your paper to actually read it, but
> as it returns a 404 error I'm going to make one brief statement:
>
> If you can load another binary format or access the "simply linked
> lists" of the binfmt chain in any way, then you're root and therefore
> there are easier ways to own the box than patching the kernel.
>
> Cheers,
> Kyle Moffett

I looked at it, basically his argument which is all flowered up in pretty
pictures and security vulnerability language is:

   If root loads a buggy module then the module can be used to compromise
   the system.

Well isn't that surprising.

--
Stephen Hemminger <[email protected]>