RE: Problem with legacy megaraid

Thanks for your response Andrew.  Comment responses in-line:

> > I am not subscribed to this list.  Please CC me on replies.
>
> (more cc's added)

Outstanding; thank you.

> > I have a machine I'm trying to use as a file server.  I
> have a RAID10 and a
> > RAID5 on a single Dell PERC2/DC (AMI Megaraid 467)
> controller.  Both arrays
> > are also on the same SCSI channel.  The system runs fine
> for days on end
> > until I put some heavy I/O load on either array and sustain
> it for a few
> > seconds.
>
> We recently discovered that "The old megaraid driver is
> apparently borken
> for firmware newer than 6.61.".  So please check that and see if a
> downgrade is needed.

The Dell firmware version on the card currently is 1.06.  I have not found a
newer firmware version than that one.

> Is there some reason why you cannot use the new megaraid driver?

The config help for the megaraid drivers suggested that the new megaraid
driver would not support a PERC2.  I had enabled both drivers in the kernel
which is having this problem.:

CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN=y
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MM=y
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MAILBOX=y
CONFIG_MEGARAID_LEGACY=y

After your suggestion I rebuilt the kernel with legacy disabled.:

CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN=y
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MM=y
CONFIG_MEGARAID_MAILBOX=y
# CONFIG_MEGARAID_LEGACY is not set

The new megaraid driver does not detect the PERC2/DC just as I feared it
would not.  Unless I'm missing some kernel commandline arguments necessary
to make the new driver find the card, I'm stuck with legacy.

> > Distro: Gentoo Linux
> > Kernel: 2.6.17-gentoo-r7
> >
> > Hardware:
> > Motherboard: Tyan Thunder i7501 Pro (S2721-533)
> > CPUs: Dual 2.8Ghz P4 HT Xeons
> > RAM: 4GB registered (3/1 split, flat model)
> > RAID: Dell PERC2/DC (AMI Megaraid 467)
> > SCSI: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W PCI
> > NICs: onboard e100 and dual onboard e1000

<snip>

Thanks,
Chris