Re: GPLv3 Position Statement

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> For the miniscule patches I have contributed to gcc, I donated them to the
> public domain...

Btw, I tried that wit the code I had, it didn't work. It might depend on
the person you're working with. I was told "We need your assignment on
file". Some maintainers might be more careful.

I have been told that legally, "putting something in the public domain"
isn't actually really possible in the US, but maybe that is something that
lawyers disagree about.

You can assign or transfer your copyrights (in writing, on real paper
only!) or you can license it, but "public domain" seems to be hard. Unless
you just want to wait for several decades after your death (and that's
hoping that Disney doesn't extend it even more after you die).

		Linus