Re: [v4l-dvb-maintainer] Options depending on STANDALONE

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 02:15:26PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Is there another way to load firmware in a driver compiled into the kernel?

The CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE=n code should work fine.

> I know there are other DVB drivers that can have firmware compiled in
> instead of using FW_LOADER.  They just don't show that ability in Kconfig,
> you have to edit the driver to enable compiled in firmware.
>
> > > This option _is_ useful because it allows allows a user to build an
> > > av7110 driver without hotplug etc. I NAK any attempt to remove it.
> >
> > If you look at the dependencies of DVB_AV7110 and the code in av7110.c
> > you'll note that your statement "it allows allows a user to build an
> > av7110 driver without hotplug" is not true.
>
> Looks like a mistake in the Kconfig file:
> -	select FW_LOADER
> +	select FW_LOADER if DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE=n

Sure, it could be fixed.

But the fact that it didn't work doesn't create a strong reason for
keeping it.

And the whole "kernel without hotplug" is anyway no longer possible in
the usual CONFIG_EMBEDDED=n case.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.