Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

On 8/4/06, Edward Shishkin <[email protected]> wrote:
Hans Reiser wrote:
> Edward Shishkin wrote:
>

>>Matthias Andree wrote:

>>>What kind of forward error correction would that be,
>>

>>Actually we use checksums, not ECC. If checksum is wrong, then run
>>fsck - it will remove the whole disk cluster, that represent 64K of
>>data.
>

> How about we switch to ecc, which would help with bit rot not sector loss?

Interesting aspect.

Yes, we can implement ECC as a special crypto transform that inflates
data. As I mentioned earlier, it is possible via translation of key
offsets with scale factor > 1.

Of course, it is better then nothing, but anyway meta-data remains
ecc-unprotected, and, hence, robustness is not increased..

Edward.

>> and how much and
>>

>>>what failure patterns can it correct? URL suffices.
>>>

>>Checksum is checked before unsafe decompression (when trying to
>>decompress incorrect data can lead to fatal things). It can be
>>broken because of many reasons. The main one is tree corruption
>>(for example, when disk cluster became incomplete - ECC can not
>>help here). Perhaps such checksumming is also useful for other
>>things, I didnt classify the patterns..
>>
>>Edward.

Would the storage + plugin subsystem support storing >1 copies of the
metadata tree?

--
Greetz, Antonio Vargas aka winden of network

http://network.amigascne.org/
[email protected]
[email protected]

Every day, every year