Re: [ProbableSpam] Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/5] Going forward with Resource Management - A cpu controller

Kirill Korotaev wrote:

>> The use cases I have heard of which would benefit such a feature is
>> (say) for database threads which want to change their "resource
>> affinity" status depending on which customer query they are currently
>> handling. If they are handling a query for a "important" customer,
>> they will want affinied
>> to a high bandwidth resource container and later if they start handling
>> a less important query they will want to give up this affinity and
>> instead move to a low-bandwidth container.
>
> this works mostly for CPU only.

And for block I/O bandwidth control since the priority of I/O requests can
also be changed dynamically pretty easily.

> And OpenVZ design allows to change CPU
> resource container  dynamically.
>
> But such a trick works poorly for memory, because:
> 1. threads share lots of resources.
> 2. complex databases can have more complicated handling than a thread
> per request.
>  e.g. one thread servers memory pools, another one caches, some for
> stored procedures, some for requests etc.

True. Stuff like memory, open files etc. are harder to control since
you can't take back allocations that easily and sharing with other tasks is
possible.

> BTW, exactly this difference shows the reason to have different groups
> for different resources.

Good point.