Re: Options depending on STANDALONE

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 01:28:07PM -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
 > On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 10:25:43PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
 > > ACPI_CUSTOM_DSDT seems to be the most interesting case.
 > > It's anyway not usable for distribution kernels, and AFAIR the ACPI
 > > people prefer to get the kernel working with all original DSDTs
 > > (which usually work with at least one other OS) than letting the people
 > > workaround the problem by using a custom DSDT.
 >
 > Not true at all.  For SuSE kernels, we have a patch that lets people
 > load a new DSDT from initramfs due to broken machines requiring a
 > replacement in order to work properly.

Whilst this is a quick fix for users who either know how to hack DSDTs
themselves, or know where to get a fixed one, it doesn't solve the bigger
problem, that the interpretor doesn't get fixed.
And by 'fixed', I mean we aren't bug for bug compatible with that
other OS.  We need to be adding workarounds to the ACPI interpretor
so this stuff 'just works', not hiding from the problem and creating
"but it works in $otherdistro when I do this" scenarios.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk