Re: orinoco driver causes *lots* of lockdep spew

Herbert Xu wrote:

Hi,

Arjan van de Ven <[email protected]> wrote:
this is another one of those nasty buggers;

Good catch.  It's really time that we fix this properly rather than
adding more kludges to the core code.

however I'm not quite yet convinced that this patch is going to solve
this particular deadlock.
(I agree with the principle of it and I think it's really needed,
I just don't yet see how it's going to solve this specific deadlock. But
then again it's early and I've not had sufficient coffee yet so I could
well be wrong)

[WIRELESS]: Send wireless netlink events with a clean slate

Drivers expect to be able to call wireless_send_event in arbitrary
contexts.  On the other hand, netlink really doesn't like being
invoked in an IRQ context.  So we need to postpone the sending of
netlink skb's to a tasklet.

it's not just about irq context, it's about being called with any lock that's
used in IRQ context; that is what makes this double nasty...

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven