Re: make 16C950 UARTs work

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 03:49:38PM -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> This patch has been submitted a number of times, and doesn't seem
> to get any upstream traction, which is a shame, as it seems to work
> for users, and I keep inadvertantly dropping it from the Fedora
> kernel everytime I rebase it.

As I've said, I'm ignoring all 950 patches because I don't know what
works and what doesn't, and it's highly likely that applying one fix
for one card breaks already working fixes for other cards because
they have different crystals fitted, thereby requiring different
register settings.

My requests for the broken BT hardware which dwmw2 promised me which
the original requests were based upon have consistently resulted in
promise of action but no real action.

Basically, either I need 950 based hardware so I can at least validate
that new fixes don't break existing setups, or someone else needs to
be in this position and take on the responsibility for reviewing and
testing future 950 based patches.

I don't believe that there are sufficient users out there who follow
the kernel to allow the "dump in -mm and wait a bit to see if anyone
complains" solution will work.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 Serial core