Question about Git tree methodology.

Hi all,
  I've been playing around with setting up a personal git tree for kernel patches.  I've followed Jeff Garzik's guide, as well as some of the kernel.org docs.  I have no problem setting it up, however I have a question about which method to use for my tree.  Basically I just want to use it as a method of tracking my own trivial patches (and perhaps give maintainers easier access to them).  I've looked through some of the trees on kernel.org for guidance.
  My issue is, if I do a git clone, I wind up with all the history from the kernel git.  This seems excessive and useless for just tracking my own work.  I could alternatively download the source and init a new tree, but I believe it would make keeping up to date with the kernel.org git more complicated.
  What method is used by the various trees on kernel.org to deal with this?  Is there a way to use the kernel.org git as a base, but only track my own changes?

Thanks.

--
Matt LaPlante
CCNP, CCDP, A+, Linux+, CQS