Re: Proposal and plan for ext2/3 future development work

Theodore Ts'o wrote:
To address these issues, after discussing the matter amongst ourselves,
the ext2/3 developers would like to propose the following path forward.

Overall...  ACK from me.  Thanks for listening.

2) Bug fixes to fix 32-bit cleanliness issues, security/oops problems
will go into fs/ext3, but all new development work will go into fs/ext4.
There is some question about whether relatively low risk features such
as slimming the extX in-core memory structure, and delayed allocation
for ext3, which have no format impacts, should go into fs/ext3, or
whether such enhancement should only benefit fs/ext4 users.  This is a
cost/benefit tradeoff for which the guidance of the LKML community about
whether the loss in code stability is worth the improvements to current
ext3 users, given the existence of the development branch.

Agreed overall, though specifically for delayed allocation I think that's an ext4 thing:

* First off, I'm a big fan of delalloc, and (like extents) definitely want to see the feature implemented * Delayed allocation, properly done, requires careful interaction with VM writeback (memory pressure or normal writeout), and may require some minor changes to generic code in fs/* and mm/* * Delayed allocation changes I/O ordering, and may require some retuning for workloads to remain optimal * Delayed allocation changes data layout on disk. HOPEFULLY for the better, but we won't know that until its been hammered a bit in the field.

So while I agree it has no format impacts, I also think it has a non-trivial -- and currently unknown -- impact on stable systems.

Also for the reasons listed, I think ext4 would be a far superior testbed for delalloc.

In addition, we are assuming that various "low risk" changes that do
involve format changes, such as support for higher resolution
timestamps, will _not_ get integrated into the fs/ext3 codebase, and
that people who want these features will have to use the
stable/development fs/ext4 codebase.

ACK

3) The ext4 code base will continue to mount older ext3 filesystems,
as this is necessary to ensure a future smooth upgrade path from ext3
to ext4 users.  In addition, once a feature is added to the ext3dev
filesystem, a huge amount of effort will be made to provide continuing
support for the filesystem format enhancements going forward, just as
we do with the syscall ABI.  (Emergencies might happen if we make a
major mistake and paint ourselves into a corner; but just as with
changes to the kernel/userspace ABI, if there is some question about
whether or not a particular filesystem format can be supported going
forward indefinitely, we will not push changes into the mainline
kernel until we are can be confident on this point.)

ACK

4) At some point, probably in 6-9 months when we are satisified with the
set of features that have been added to fs/ext4, and confident that the
filesystem format has stablized, we will submit a patch which causes the
fs/ext4 code to register itself as the ext4 filesystem.  The
implementation may still require some shakedown before we are all
confident that it is as stable as ext3 is today.  At that point, perhaps
12-18 months out, we may request that the code in fs/ext3/*.c be deleted
and that fs/ext4 register itself as supporting the ext3 filesystem as
well.

I continue to have a concern that it will become tougher over time to support all these features in the same codebase... so consider this a reluctant "ACK" for this last paragraph. :)

	Jeff