Re: AMD AM2 Sempron vs. Athlon - Confused

On Thursday 29 June 2006 18:30, Marc Perkel wrote:
> I'm confused and I thought if anyone would know it would be people here.
>
> So - in the AM2 world, what's the difference between Sempron and Athlon
> processors?

That I'm aware of, Semprons have smaller L2 caches. You want an Athlon.

> I look at the specs and they look really similar. Pricing is
> even weirder with lower spec Semprons costing more than higher spec
> Athlons?

I've not seen this, but my understanding is that AMD's PR numbering scheme
can't be used to compare between processor lines. i.e., a Sempron 3000+ is
not faster than an Athlon 2800+..

> And - can Linux kernels run on these new processors and motherboards or
> is this just too new to mess with?

Should just work. I've seen Linux booted on an AM2 board, but I don't
currently own one.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

Final year Computer Science undergraduate.