Re: Kernelsources writeable for everyone?!

Matthew Frost wrote:
Joshua Hudson wrote:
I feel like asking how they initially get set to world-writable. To me
it means that the tree that is being tarred up for distribution is
world-writible. I sure hope that it is a single-user box.
-

Yeah. Having said, "Take advice", I'm also curious as to just the why/how of the current configuration and the work patterns that create it. I get the impression that there *is* a reason for it, because if it were just a security issue, I can't see this much resistance to changing it. Sane tar permissions and sensible usage aside.

The kernel untar-and-compile procedure has been documented this way since at least 2000, from Linus. There's a good recent (and short) discussion from Jesper Juhl on LXer that references it, as well.

http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/0587.html
http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/22410/

The previous two l-k threads I can find on this topic (one listed earlier in this thread, one referenced from it) don't seem to be any more revelatory about why the tarball is as it is. I might guess that it has to do with how changes get checked in, but I also have the vague memory that these aren't tar()ed on a development box. I could be wrong. Consider me seconding the "Why?" aspect, if anybody's still listening. :)

Matt

No, I'm an idiot.  Blockquoted here (Norbert van Nobelen):
"The rights on the files should be sufficient for the compiler to go through the tree and compile the kernel for you. If it bothers you, you can just run chmod -R to correct it.
I guess that it will not be corrected."
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=113304353113129&w=2