Re: acpi dock test-drive

On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 04:45 +0200, Christian Trefzer wrote:
> Hi Kristen,
>
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 09:45:38AM -0700, Kristen Accardi wrote:
> > What you are describing sounds like the bug I just fixed :).  Can you
> > please try 2.6.17-rc6-mm1 to see if this works any better?  I believe it
> > should resolve both the oops and the fact that your devices behind the
> > pci bridge are not found.  Thanks very much for continuing to test the
> > patches.
>
> after adding acpi-dock-driver-acpi_get_device_fix.patch the Oops is
> truly gone, although the current behaviour seems dangerous to me. AFAIR
> the undock button causes the disk to spin down and the backlight to be
> turned off e.g. when the boot manager is displayed and power management
> controlled entirely by the bios. What I got now was an endless loop that
> caused everything including sysrq keys to be all but interactive, but
> what bothers me more is the rythmic noise from the hard disk. It sounds
> as if it was attempting a spin-down, barely audible, and only for a
> fraction of a second. This happens about 1.5 times per second, and if
> this is what I guess it is, it won't prolong the disk's life : /

Can you tell me if this happens when you boot up outside your dock
station, and then dock/undock, or if it only happens when you boot
inside the dock station and then attempt to undock?

> Devices behind the PCI bridge are not yet discovered as well. Guess I'd
> have to build a debug kernel some time soon. Dmesg dumps will have to
> wait until "tomorrow", it's 4:45am and I feel like a dead piece of meat.

When you do get to this, please load acpiphp as a module with the
debug=1 option and send me the output.  Do the following:

1.  boot outside dock station
2.  load acpiphp
3.  attempt to dock - capture output of dmesg plus lspci -vv
4.  reboot inside dock station
5.  capture lspci -vv

Maybe we can focus on getting docking working right first, and then try
to figure out what's going on with undocking.

Thanks,
Kristen