Re: [Ext2-devel] [RFC 0/13] extents and 48bit ext3

Alex Tomas wrote:
Jeff Garzik (JG) writes:

 JG> Think about how this will be deployed in production, long term.

 JG> If extents are not made default at some point, then no one will use
 JG> the feature, and it should not be merged.

sorry, I disagree. for example, NUMA isn't default and shouldn't be.
but we have it in the tree and any one may choose to use it.

NUMA is designed to cope with a hardware feature, which not everybody has. Filesystem upgrades are not qualitatively similar; it does not depend on one's hardware design as to whether one uses ext3, let alone extents. Your logic is faulty.

 the same
with extents. let's have it in. but let's make clear it's experimental,
it makes sense for large files only, it isn't backward compatible and
so on.

thanks, Alex