Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

On 6/1/06, Antonino A. Daplas <[email protected]> wrote:
Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 6/1/06, Antonino A. Daplas <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Jon Smirl wrote:
>> > On 6/1/06, D. Hazelton <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >

>> Console writes are done with the console semaphore held. printk will also
>> just write to the log buffer and defer the actual console printing
>> for later, by the next or current process that will grab the semaphore.
>
> That was my original position too. But Alan Cox has drilled it into me
> that this is not acceptable for printks in interrupt context, they
> need to print there and not be deferred.

Just to clarify, it's not my position, that's how the current printk code
works.

I haven't looked at the code, but if there is just normal console
running and nothing like X is around, doesn't the console system
always have the semaphore? If it always has the semaphore then
interupt context printk's aren't blocked.

I think that interrupt context printk's work today, I have definitely
seen one printk get inserted into the middle of another on my console.
How else could you achieve that?

--
Jon Smirl
[email protected]