RE: Long delay on bootup with wait_hwif_ready

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 14:10 +0200, David Balazic wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My "final conclusion" last time was, that there is some memory
> area, that comes out too short in certain cases.
> This is some early kernel boot code, that deals with the BIOS (and
> confuses it, it seems, by running out the mentioned memory area).
>
> As I understood, the kernel could be tweaked to increase/decrease
> the problemtatic memory area (or the usage of it).
>
> It is some kind of stack, heap or segment, I don't know, but somebody
> mentioned it last time.
>
> Regards,
> David
>
> PS: Feel free to ask me for testing patches ;-)
> I still have the same PC (with a certain weird behavior lately,
> I can't switch the IDE mode from "RAID" to "normal" ...)

After rereading the thread (after my first cup of coffee this time), I
see that the problem was slightly different than what I had. The thread
showed some delay before the console was initialized (the EDD code). But
I'm experiencing the delay with the wait_not_busy.

My problem is that the secondary status register is returning busy when
there isn't anything there.  So I have to wait 35 seconds for the
timeout to expire.  This could just be a fluke with the way the board is
designed (it wouldn't surprise me).

-- Steve