Re: [ck] Re: [patch][rfc] quell interactive feeding frenzy

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 09:22:59AM +1000, Con Kolivas wrote:
> The current value, 6ms at 1000HZ, is chosen because it's the largest value
> that can schedule a task in less than normal human perceptible range when two
> competing heavily cpu bound tasks are the same priority. At 250HZ it works
> out to 7.5ms and 10ms at 100HZ. Ironically in my experimenting I found the
> cpu cache improvements become much less significant above 7ms so I'm very
> happy with this compromise.

Heh, this part is *EXACTLY* a fully sufficient explanation of what I was
wondering about myself just these days ;)
(I'm experimenting with different timeslice values on my P3/450 to verify
what performance impact exactly it has)
However with a measly 256kB cache it probably doesn't matter too much,
I think.

But I think it's still important to mention that your perception might be
twisted by your P4 limitation (no testing with slower and really slow
machines).

Andreas