HP Pavilion dv5320us, amd64 'turion' cpu

Greetings;

I've been dl'ing and burning cd's and dvd's at a furious rate for
several days now, looking for a 64 bit distribution that will actually
boot on this thing, apparently in vain.  i386 stuff works fine.
The kubuntu 'breezy' 5.10 locks up at the ACPI line regardless of what
kernel options you pass trying to disable it.

The dapper, 6.06, amd64 cd outputs nothing on screen after "Booting the
kernel".  I let it sit there for 20 minutes while I caught up on some
email.

Anybody have any clues that might be helpfull here, other than eating
the restocking fee and stopping the payment on whats turning into a
POS, and HP, while not stateing so in the warranty, claims if I put ANY
3rd party stuff on it, the warranty is null and void.  Needless to say
I would have appreciated being told that before I dropped my card on
the counter last tuesday.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: