Re: RT task scheduling

On Thursday 06 April 2006 11:16, you wrote:
> On Thursday 06 April 2006 00:37, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Darren Hart <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > My last mail specifically addresses preempt-rt, but I'd like to know
> > > people's thoughts regarding this issue in the mainline kernel.  Please
> > > see my previous post "realtime-preempt scheduling - rt_overload
> > > behavior" for a testcase that produces unpredictable scheduling
> > > results.

> > in any case, i'll check your -rt testcase to see why it fails.
>
> Just as an example, here is the output a failing test case on a 4way
> machine running 2.6.16-rt13 (a successful run would have a final ball
> position of 0).
>
> [root@box sched_football]# ./sched_football 4 10
> Starting 4 offense threads at priority 15
> Starting 4 defense threads at priority 30
> Starting referee thread
> Game On (10 seconds)!
> Game Over!
> Final ball position: 5
> [root@box sched_football]#
>
> --Darren

On a related note, I tried observing the rt stats in /proc/stats while running
sched_football on 2.6.16-rt13.  The entire log is nearly a MB so I placed it
on my website for reference
(http://www.dvhart.com/~dvhart/sched_football_stats.log), an excerpt follows:

---------------------

The following is the output of sched_football run with 1 thread for offense
and 1 thread for defense on a 4 way machine.  The ball position is irrelevant
in this case since there are more CPUs than threads (they should all be able
to run).  What is disturbing is that over the entire run, I never see RT
tasks on every CPU.  Even though there are usually 5 total runnnable threads,
we constantly see groupings of 2 and 3 on the runqueues while the others have
no running rt tasks.

Looking back, I should have added a sleep to the loop - oops - still, I think
the data is interesting and suggests a problem with sceduling RT tasks across
all available CPUs.  Does this seem like a valid test to everyone?  Is there
perhaps some explanation as to why this would be expected (when the cat
process get's to read the proc information or something) ?

# ./sched_football 1 60
Starting 1 offense threads at priority 15
Starting 1 defense threads at priority 30
Starting referee thread
Game On (60 seconds)!
Game Over!
Final ball position: 20359767

# while true; do clear; cat /proc/stat | grep rt >> sched_football_stats.log;
done

sched_football_stats.log
------------------------------
rt_overload_schedule: 57768