Re: Save 320K on production machines?

On Thu, 30 March 2006 13:34:07 -0800, Linda Walsh wrote:

> 1) It would be nice if a "stack usage" option could be turned on
> that would do some sort of run-time bounds checking that could
> display the max-stack used "so far" in "/proc".

Would CONFIG_DEBUG_STACK_USAGE=y do what you want?

> 2) How difficult would it be to place kernel stack in a "pageable" pool
> where the limit of valid data in a 4K page is only 3.5K - then
> when a kernel routine tries to exceed the stack boundary, it takes a
> page fault where a "note" could be logged that more stack was "needed",
> then automatically map another 4K page into the stack and return to
> interrupted routine.

S390 has something a bit like that.  They can specify the stack limit
and get an exception when a function is trying to grow the stack
beyond the limit.  Martin Schwidefsky might know the details a bit
better.

Jörn

--
You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker. Go back in
there, chill them niggers out and wait for the Wolf, who should be