Re: [spi-devel-general] SPI bus driver synchronous support

On Mar 30, 2006, at 11:53 AM, David Brownell wrote:

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 11:49 am, Kumar Gala wrote:

The case I have is I need to talk to a microcontroller connected over
SPI.  I'd like to be able to issue a command to the microcontroller
in a MachineCheck handler before the system reboots.

Issuing the command is trivial, but knowing it completes before the MCE handler completes is an entirely different kettle of fish. Remember, the SPI controller may in general be busy with some other request, which would need to finish first even if some other request _could_ jump to the head
of the request queue.

I suspect some system designer is thinking about the problem wrong if
you believe you need that kind of solution.  If for some reason your
board design requires that sort of access, then what you'd be needing
is a way to abort then bypass the normal SPI stack. It could work like
any other board-specific hack.

Agreed. It only on the exceptional case of the machine check. For example I would like to send a "mute" command to a micro controller which controls audio output if we crash.

I need a truly
synchronous interface opposed to one fronting the async interface.

I think the word "synchronous" means something other than what
you're implying here.  Normally in Linux, it means that the
request handling blocks until completion, sleeping allowed.

You seem to be thinking about something behaving more like a
register access, which is safe to call when in_irq().

That's true. I guess I'll have to give more thought on if there is a way between the bus and client drivers.

I assume you are the SPI maintainer at this point?

- kumar