Re: Synchronizing Bit operations V2

Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
Christoph Lameter wrote on Thursday, March 30, 2006 6:38 PM

Neither one is correct because there will always be one combination of clear_bit with these macros that does not generate the required memory barrier.

Can you give an example?  Which combination?

For Option(1)

smp_mb__before_clear_bit()
clear_bit(...)(

Sorry, you totally lost me.  It could me I'm extremely slow today.  For
option (1), on ia64, clear_bit has release semantic already.  The comb
of __before_clear_bit + clear_bit provides the required ordering.  Did
I miss something?  By the way, we are talking about detail implementation
on one specific architecture.  Not some generic concept that clear_bit
has no ordering stuff in there.

The memory ordering that above combination should produce is a
Linux style smp_mb before the clear_bit. Not a release.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.