Re: kernel config repository

Jesper Juhl wrote:
For some users being able to grab a pre-made .config may be valuable,
but for most people I doubt it will be very useful. Peoples hardware
differ a lot, so a "best" config is always going to be one that you
tweak personally to match your system. If you don't want to do that
you are probably just going to use a generic distro kernel anyway (or
you could use the .config of the distro kernel with make oldconfig
when building a new kernel).

Maybe it's a good idea, dunno, but I don't really think so.

I understand your point, and you might as well be right.

I have experienced a very tough testing phase to make myself believe and thrust a new kernel config, before I put it to live use. I only use HP machines, most of them the same model and the difference in hardware are usually just disks, memory and speed of cpu, which affects the config inself very minmial, otherwise theyre all the same. And to hook up and see other HP(replace with any brand/model) users and see what configs they use, so all can benefit from config testing, would be a great idea, thats what I think at least.

People compiling custom kernels for whatever piece of hardware they can find will most likely not benefit, but the overall "community wisdom" that this might generate would perhaps everyone benefit from.

Today, I find it hard find information about all the different configs, more than whats in the help function in make menuconfig, but thats me. And I think its a waste if good kernel development get ignored since people dont know what config options to turn on. ;)

Well, I hope I might inspired or given some clarity on the topic, any new input from this?

Best regards,
	Eric