Re: hda-intel woes

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

I wasn;t trying to be flippant or rude, I was simply pointing this person to a website where they might find answers. Most users are not programmers and expecting them to debug patches and rebuild a kernel (which won't work in most cases because of forking and massive patches by the DISTRO vendors) .

Since at least one other person mentioned that your reply was harsh, leave it that your intentions were good and you weren't intentionally impolitic.

Linux has grown up. People using laptops with distros will find a lot of answers on these forums. How about wireless drivers? Bcm drivers for example. Written as NDIS and using ndiswrapper. Laptop issues are complicated and not general bugs. LKML isn;t useful to address these issues. I don't even get responses on AMD issues and I do kernel development all day long. And I don't use stock kernel.org releases any longer since the distro's have forked so extensively.

Since the issue is/was in the kernel.org release, the question wasn't really out of place. As noted ASUS sound hasn't worked forever, and last night I was curious about the claims that it was fixed, and lo... I have sound in 2.6.16.1. Of course my webcam stopped working, so now that I can play back my meeting notes I can't record the meeting :-( That's not a trouble report, I have to look at all my config stuff first.

--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])