Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

Kirill Korotaev wrote:

Nick, will be glad to shed some light on it.

Thanks very much Kirill.

I don't think I'm qualified to make any decisions about this,
so I don't want to detract from the real discussions, but I
just had a couple more questions:

First of all, what it does which low level virtualization can't:
- it allows to run 100 containers on 1GB RAM
  (it is called containers, VE - Virtual Environments,
   VPS - Virtual Private Servers).
- it has no much overhead (<1-2%), which is unavoidable with hardware
  virtualization. For example, Xen has >20% overhead on disk I/O.

Are any future hardware solutions likely to improve these problems?

OS kernel virtualization
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is this considered secure enough that multiple untrusted VEs are run
on production systems?

What kind of users want this, who can't use alternatives like real
VMs?

Summary of previous discussions on LKML

Have their been any discussions between the groups pushing this
virtualization, and important kernel developers who are not part of
a virtualization effort? Ie. is there any consensus about the
future of these patches?

Thanks,
Nick

--