Re: eCryptfs Design Document

Phillip Hellewell wrote:
Again I concur with Mike.  Iterative hashing is a very common technique,
and is very effective against this type of dictionary attack.  If you
hash 1000 times, then an attack that normally could check 1 million
passwords per second would now only be able to check 1000 passwords per
second.

Without iterative hashing, as computers get faster, so would dictionary
attacks, and then people would have to keep using longer and longer
passwords to be as effective.  Iterative hashing "levels the playing
field" in a way.

Except that I believe you can write code to compute the nth hash in O(1) time rather than O(n) time, so that kind of defeats the purpose, though I'm no expert so I could be wrong.