Re: [Libusb-devel] Re: 2.6.16 serious consequences / GPL_EXPORT_SYMBOL / USB drivers of major vendor excluded

Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:47:43PM +0100, [email protected] wrote:

Compared to other operating systems, such as Mac OS, BeOS,
Windows etc., Linux is walking a solitary path with the "user mode only"
shift. One gets the impression, that legal concerns are leading Linux to a
technically suboptimal/isolated solution.

No, right now, Linux has the best latency numbers _by far_ than any
other operating system, so we can move stuff to userspace.

And again, it's your legal issues that are forcing you that way, if you
change that, putting everything in the kernel would be fine :)

(Since this came to me via the libusb list, and we've kind of
gone past libusb-specific-related discussion, I thought I'd
add another question to the thread).

What's the rationale behind the dichotomy between userspace
and kernel licensing models?

mike