Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Monday 27 February 2006 17:30, Peter Gordon wrote:
> On 2/27/06, D. Hazelton <[email protected]> wrote:
> > This value is also reported by the drive. I don't know about DVD drives,
> > but for CD drives it is a multiplier. 1x == 256K/sec transfer off the
> > disc [...]
>
> For CDs, 1x is actually 150 KByte/sec.

Well, I've been known to be wrong before, and this number was more based on
the fact that I once measured a sustained transfer rate of 1M/sec on a 4x
CDROM

> > I haven't had time to look into the DVD specification, but I'm guessing
> > that the DVD speed is about 3x what the CDROM speed is.
>
> According to WikiPedia, the DVD speed rating is almost 9 times that of
> CD speeds. I.e., 1x DVD is about 1.32 MByte/sec.

This was based on DVDx16 == CDx48 - I'm guessing someone is doing some monkey
work if a DVD is 9x a CD and a 16x DVD can't hit that mystical 52x of my
favorite CDRW drive in pure CD read mode.

> Just to make sure that we're all on the same page. :)
> ~~Peter

Thanks. Was just trying to dispel a few mis-statements and made some myself.
I'm grateful for the update to my poor memory.

DRH