Re: udevd is killing file write performance.

John McCutchan wrote:
On Fri, 2006-24-02 at 18:07 +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:

I saw this problem when testing my lockless pagecache a while back.

Attached is a first implementation of what was my idea then of how
to solve it... note it is pretty rough and I never got around to doing
much testing of it.

Basically: moves work out of inotify event time and to inotify attach
/detach time while staying out of the core VFS.

This looks really good. There might be some corner cases but it looks
like it will solve this problem nicely.

Thanks. You should see I sent a new version which fixes several bugs
and cleans up the code a bit.

There might be some areas of potential problems:
- creating and deleting watches on directories with many entries will
  take a long time. Is anyone likely to be creating and destroying
  these things at a very high frequency? Probably nobody cares except
  it might twist some real-time knickers.

- concurrent operations in the same watched directory will incur the
  same scalability penalty. I think this is basically a non-issue since
  the sheer number of events coming out will likely be a bigger problem.
  Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.