Re: kernel-2.6.16-rc2-git8 - reiserfs - write problem !!!

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 01:56:52AM -0600, art wrote:
> kernel-2.6.16-rc2-git9     BAD
>
> looks like system automaticly sets attribs mounting reiserfs
>
> "A file with the `i' attribute cannot be modified: it cannot be deleted or renamed, no link can be created to this file and no data can be written to the file. Only the superuser or a process possessing the CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can set or clear this attribute."
>
> "A file with the `a' attribute set can only be open in append mode for writing. Only the superuser or a process possessing the CAP_LINUX_IMMUTABLE capability can set or clear this attribute."

Ok. That's what I was afraid of. If this isn't your root file system, you
can clear the attributes with reiserfsck --clean-attributes <device>, and
it will fix the problem.

Unfortunately, this is hardly a solution, since this is a change that causes
unexpected and unpredictable results on file systems in use.

Andrew -

Since the attr-bits-cleared bit can't be trusted, I don't think we'll ever be
able to enable reiserfs inode attrs by default. I'll send a patch separately
to back out this behavior.

-Jeff

--
Jeff Mahoney