Re: RFC: Compact Flash True IDE Mode Driver

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 01:19 -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
> I was hoping to get some comments on this work in progress driver for
> using a compact flash device running in True IDE Mode connect via a MMIO
> interface.  The driver is working, however the embedded system I'm running
> on need some HW fixes to address the fact that the byte lanes for the data
> are swapped.  I figured now was a good time to incorporate any changes
> while I wait for the HW fixes (which will allow me to remove the
> cfide_outsw & cfide_insw).

Your driver basically boils down to a simple IDE host driver configured
by platform functions. I suggest you remove "compact flash" here and
have the platform resource optinally be either PIO or MMIO and you
magically get a "generic" IDE driver useable by a lot of simple embedded
machines (it assumes all timing related things have been handled by the
firmware). Want to be sneakier ? Add a timing setup callback to the
platform data you pass to it and you get one that can even do PIO
modes :)

Ben.