Re: Unable to read DVDs - what could be wrong?

You will need to do some troubleshooting to see if it looks like a software or hardware problem, i.e. plug the drive into another computer and/or OS and see if those work. If it doesn't work anywhere with dvd media, it is entirely possible that the blue laser in the drive has died, and you will need to follow the manufacturer's technical support system and RMA process. I recently had a DVD combo drive blow out its red laser so it would recognize dvd media just fine, but any and all cd media it would report that there was no disc in the drive. In any case, this mailing list isn't really a general support forum so you should look elsewhere unless you have reason to believe it is a problem in the linux kernel.
Helge Hafting wrote:
(Using kernel 2.6.16rc2 on amd64)

I have this dvd writer:
hda: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-712A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

It works well for reading and burning CDs, but it seem to be unable to
use DVDs.

I tried to mount a dvd, and got "No medium found".
cat /dev/hda also got that message, so it can't be a missing fs driver.

I only have one data dvd - it could theoretically be broken.
But attempts to play movies are equally fruitless, and I know those works.

Booting with a dvd in the drive gives me this in dmesg:

VP_IDE: chipset revision 6
VP_IDE: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
VP_IDE: VIA vt8237 (rev 00) IDE UDMA133 controller on pci0000:00:0f.1
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb400-0xb407, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-712A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: ATAPI 94X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 8192kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
hda: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: packet command error: error=0x44 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x04 }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
ATAPI device hda:
  Error: Hardware error -- (Sense key=0x04)
  Tracking servo failure -- (asc=0x09, ascq=0x01)
  The failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity" packet command was:
  "25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "

I have upgraded the device from firmware 1.01 to the latest which is 1.07. That and a cold boot changed nothing.

Am I doing something wrong/stupid here?  Strange if it is broken,
I haven't used it that much and it is flawless with CDs.

Helge Hafting