Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:50:11PM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> Olivier Galibert wrote:
> >Actually, since at that point in time HAL is the only way to do device
> >discovery with the linux kernel, problems in HAL are problems in
> >linux.  There is *no* other way than HAL to do the mapping between a
> >point in the sysfs tree and a device node in /dev[1].
>
> That information is available in /sys, which is how HAL discovers it.

No, it isn't.  OTOH, udev maintains it, so I guess that's good enough.
It makes udev the kernel interface though.  I hope they now care about
compatibility (/dev/.udev.pdb vs. /dev/.udev/db/* anyone?).

> If you wanted to, you could bypass HAL and go directly to /sys to
> perform your own discovery.  Also HAL is not a part of the linux kernel,
> therefore a problem in HAL is NOT a problem in linux, even if there were
> no other way to get the information as you ( wrongly ) asserted.

Bullshit.  If <x> is the only interface available to a kernel service,
then <x> is part of the kernel whether you like it or not.  Case in
point, the ALSA library.

  OG.