Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest) (was: Rationale for RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?)

On Friday 03 February 2006 14:08, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >> I am currently able to properly write all sorts of CD-R/RW and DVD±R/RW,
> >> DVD-DL with no problems using
> >>     cdrecord -dev=/dev/hdb
> >> it _currently_ works, no matter how ugly or not this is from either
> >> Jörg's or any other developer's POV - therefore it's fine from the
> >> end-user's POV.
> >
> >How did you manage to burn a dual layer disc? I have been completely
> >unsuccessful at doing this at all. :(
>
> You have to add  -driver=mmc_dvdplusr , because the Dual Layer discs are
> not yet in the ProDVD database as it seems.

ProDVD is immoral software. I use growisofs.

> >> I'm fine (=I agree) with the general possibility of having it setuid,
> >> though.
> >
> >Provided it doesn't allow burning files the real-user shouldn't be able to
> >access... But since cdrecord is commonly suid-root, I presume this has
> > long been taken into consideration.
>
> Security-critical environments like data centers

I'm not referring to anything security-critical, but basic minimal UNIX file
permissions. If I have a file that's go-r, I expect that Joe Random User
can't burn a CD/DVD with that file.