Re: [2.6 patch] ISDN_CAPI_CAPIFS related cleanups

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Adrian,

> > > I actually still like to see capifs removed completely. It is not really
> > > needed if you gonna use udev. The only thing that it is doing, is to set
> > > the correct permissions and make sure that the device nodes are created.
> > > And with a 2.6 kernel this can be all done by udev.
> >
> > udev is not mandatory.
> >
> > Static /dev is still 100% supported and working fine.
>
> and if you have static /dev then you can use mknod and chown by
> yourself. If you use CAPI on any newer distribution with the latest 2.6
> kernel you will have udev anyway and so no static /dev at all.

Sorry for my ignorance, but I think capifs was introduced to have own
dynamic 'files' like pts and not to have the restrictions of character
devices and the needed major/minor numbers.

So changing this to character device nodes may break applications
out there.

Armin