Re: GPL V3 and Linux - Dead Copyright Holders

Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:

>>>Then I have to ask, why GPL and not a BSD license? GPL is after all,
>>>forcing our beliefs onto anyone who wishes to benefit from our work.
>>>

>>Yes, a lot of people see the GPL as a "crusading" license, and I think
>>that's partly because the FSF really has been acting like a crusader.
>>
>>But I think that one of the main reasons Linux has been successful is that
>>I don't think that the Linux community really is into crusading (some
>>small parts of it are, but it's not the main reason). I think Linux has
>>made the GPL more "socially acceptable", by being a hell of a lot less
>>religious about it than the FSF was.
>>
>>So to me, the point of the GPL is not the "convert the infidels" logic,
>>but something totally different:
>>

> Thank you. I think that completely clarified your position in this.
>
> Personally, I'm more of a "crusader". I don't think it's ok to force
> someone into our way of thinking, but when the try to use our work I
> feel they have at least a moral obligation to be as open themselves.
> Kind of along the lines of the old "Do unto others..."-saying. That also
> mean I don't really like bundling proprietary and open software (which I
> do for a living so feel free to call me a hypocrite).
>
> This whole DRM:d hardware issue is a bit different though since it seems
> to be moving to a point where it cannot be avoided. "Vote with your
> wallet" fails when there are so few of us that care about these things.
> With they way electronics are packaged nowadays (chip packages that is),
> it's getting increasingly difficult to build your own stuff. My fear is
> that open source will be something you can only fiddle with on your ten
> year old computer from the pre-DRM era.
>
> Rgds
> Pierre
>
> -

Well, i followed this thread on and off and i'd like to add a few words
of mine;

I think the harder one tries to enforce things on ppl the more
resistance is created. The 'free' countries who don't buy that DRM crap
will have a mighty opening in the market by creating machines which
allow you to do whatever you want (think of the region free players).
Just like the music industry is battling the ocean, they can't stop it,
cause ppl like to be free in their choices and creativeness. Yet the
internet music income is increasing which proves them wrong anyway.

I'd rather buy chinese hardware which i can do whatever i want to do
with and/or create software for than something of those who want to
control ppl in what they do and don't. Next thing is when you start your
system a signal is sent that "Drone 87-3KD983S" is now working on his
system.

Just remember, there are alway solutions, but not at the price of freedom.

Greetz,

Mark