Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

Hello!

> Is there any reason why the people with small PCs should dominate the
> people with big machines?
>
> If you use /dev/hd*, you loose control after you add more than ~ 6-10 disks.

And this is why the current Linux naming scheme (udev etc.) gives you
the possibility to use both types of names.

When I have a single CD writer, it's silly to have to think about where
exactly it is connected. I refer to it as /dev/cdrw and everything is easy.

When I have multiple writers, I start to care about more -- but usually
it's still better to avoid using bus addresses (they are not too stable
-- after changing disks, I often end up with connecting my 2 CDWR's
to different controllers) and use udev to maintain stable naming.
I use /dev/cdrom-upper and /dev/cdrom-lower, which are assigned based
on manufacturer and serial number.

This is even easier to remember with a big amount of hardware :-)

And, which is more important, this scheme works for everything --
drives, mice, network interfaces and so on.

I don't see any reason why cdrecord on Linux should invent a different
naming scheme, especially as nobody has so far demonstrated any of its
advantages.

				Have a nice fortnight
--
Martin `MJ' Mares   <[email protected]>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
MIPS: Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed.