Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 06:55:07PM +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:

> > I believe that if you added Linux 2.6 support code in libscg/cdrecord,
> > that'd simply accept the device name as an argument and didn't use *any*
> > scanning code at all, you'd make a lot of people happy (*). Quite possibly
> > everyone minus one man. Which would be a great achievement.
>
> Since Jens does not seem available anymore do you know how one is
> supposed to do the cdrom-ish device enumeration at that point?  Is HAL
> the official kernel interface to that now?

The kernel interface is sysfs and hotplug.

Udev interfaces that and can be set up so that it assigns
/dev/cdrecorder0, 1, ... to evey recorder in the system, implementing
the userspace interface.

HAL interfaces the above and implements the desktop interface.

So for a GUI application it's appropriate to use HAL, while a command
line program doesn't need any enumeration, as 'ls /dev/cdrecorder*'
should be enough for an experienced user.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR