[OT] Re: GPL V3 and Linux

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 10:42 +0100, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 19:21 -0600, Ian Kester-Haney wrote:
> [...]
> > friendly.  Should the individuals producing, directing and starring in
> > movies and music be penalized for the abuses of the recording
>
> Of course not. But I can't see any mentioning of these in the propaganda
> of the big music industry.
>
> > industry.  Piracy does exist and supporting the real creative works of
> > others is important.
>
> ACK.
> But DRM will not stop (or even hinder seriously) the big commercial
> copying organizations only the private copies (even if they are legal by
> allmeans).
> So this argument is plain simply moot.

I'll even go a step farther.  All these technical restrictions for
prevention of copying really backfires in the end.  For example, this
stupid Region coding of DVDs.  I go to Germany quite a lot, and to help
out my German, I buy DVDs there so when I'm home I can listen to movies
in German. The problem arises when I try to play these at home, since my
DVD player is coded for the US.  The only way I can watch movies that I
legally bought in Germany is to copy them (probably with illegal
software) and turn off the region code so I can watch them on my home
DVD players.

Now here's the kicker.  A colleague of mine asked why I even bother
buying the DVDs in the store, when I could buy them on the black market
for a much cheaper price and they will play on my home player.  This is
very tempting, but my conscience tells me to pay those that actually
make the films.  But it does beg the question of what the Region coding
is actually trying to stop?

Sorry, this is not about kernel programming, any replies should probably
be sent off list.

-- Steve