Re: Development tree, please?

(I changed the please to a lower case, I was overly punchy in the subject line, and I apologize to everyone for that)

--On January 20, 2006 12:11:16 PM -0500 sean <[email protected]> wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:36:35 -0700
Michael Loftis <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes I realise this change isn't out of the blue or anything, but it's in
a  'stable' kernel.  Why bother calling 2.6 stable?  We may as well have
stayed at 2.5 if this sort of thing is going to continue to be pulled.

Most of your message seems to boil down to complaining that devfs has
been removed. Unfortunately your frustration is pointed in the wrong
direction; you should be asking yourself why you ignored all those
warnings about devfs removal for so long. If you really need it, just use
the 2.4 kernel; it's very stable.

It is. And the majority of the systems I've built (and still most new installs) use 2.4, but because of the need in many situations for things that only existed starting in 2.5 there's more argument for many cases for 2.6 (and with some of the ARM development I've got going on there's even more argument for 2.6...despite the headers playing games with me right now....)

If you want to complain about the current tree being called "stable",
then just don't call it stable.   Call it the development tree because in
the end that's what  it is.  No need to get hung up on a name; it is what
it is.  Anyone, is free to fork a real stable tree just like some
distributions do.   But such "stable" trees just  aren't going to be
maintained by the same people who develop the mainline; they have enough
to do already.

I was under the impression that the consensus has usually been multiple forks dividing a lot of external development resources into their own little camps instead of letting them all contribute to the main kernel was considered a bad thing? Has this changed? I know it's better for the developers....but shouldn't they or...'someone' be responsible for maintenance and have a place to do so? Community maintenance? Developer+maintainer pairs in cases where the developer is unable or unwilling to actually maintain his/her code?

A target for such efforts, and community support for them would continue the ... 'tradition' of this being a community kernel where efforts are focused, and not where efforts are turned away and told to maintain your own forks.

If you can think of an idea to solve your problem without demanding that
other people  (ie. the mainline developers) do extra work, then speak up.
But just demanding that the developers patch a stable tree while working
on the development branch as well, has other _real_ costs that
precipitated the shift to the current model.

Having a stable tree would atleast give me a place to commit changes to publicly where/if I needed to. My main concern *today* is the devfs problems which I can solve yes and were known about yes, but require quite a bit of effort just to support the second problem of *today* which is Intel's latest e1000 variant. That though is just today's troubles right now. I can see others coming, and I'm concerned.

I understand the reason, but the problem it creates is it does give a lot of places incentive to just not contribute their bugfixes, and instead fork since they're not interested in getting involved in API changes 'right now'.