Re: FYI: RAID5 unusably unstable through 2.6.14

--On January 17, 2006 9:13:49 PM +0100 Martin Drab <[email protected]> wrote:

I've consulted this with Mark Salyzyn, because I thought it was a problem
of the AACRAID driver. But I was told, that there is nothing that AACRAID
can possibly do about it, and that it is a problem of the upper Linux
layers (block device layer?) that are strictly fault intollerant, and
thouth the problem was just an inconsistency of one particular localized
region inside /dev/sda2, Linux was COMPLETELY UNABLE (!!!!!) to read a
single byte from the ENTIRE VOLUME (/dev/sda)!

Actually...this is also related to how the controller reports the error. If it reports a device level death/failure rather than a read error, Linux is just taking that on face value. Yup, it should retry though. Other possibilities exist including the volume going offline at the controller level, having nothing to do with Linux, this is most often the problem I see with RAIDs.